Evaluating the Effectiveness of Combination Antibiotic Therapy for Recurrent Cystitis in Women

Original Article

Authors

  • Fazal Wahab
  • Syed Arif
  • Muhammad Asif
  • Zahid Ullah Khan

Keywords:

Recurrent Cystitis, Combination Antibiotic Therapy, Women

Abstract

Background: Investigating the Effectiveness of Combined Antibiotic Therapy for Recurrent Cystitis in Females. A study was conducted on twenty women with recurrent cystitis who received combination antibiotic therapy. The primary outcome measure for cystitis was the absence of all clinical and laboratory indicators of infection. The secondary objective was to assess symptom improvement related to cystitis. The findings revealed that, after using the combination antibiotic medication, cystitis symptoms disappeared completely in 18 out of the 20 women (90%), while 2 women (10%) experienced symptom improvement. According to these results, combination antibiotic therapy seems safe and effective for women with recurrent cystitis.

Objective: The primary aim of this study was to evaluate the curative effects of combination antibiotic therapy in female repetitive cystitis (RC) patients who presented at the Main Gul Jehanzeb Hospital, Swat, during January 2018 and January 2019. Secondarily, we wanted to find out how well combination antibiotic therapy worked for female RC patients.

Study Design: A retrospective study

Duration and place of study: Main Gul Jehanzeb Hospital, Swat, from January 2018 to January 2019.

 Methods: A retrospective study of combination antibiotic therapy for curing recurrent cystitis in female patients was carried out at the Main Gul Jehanzeb Hospital, Swat, Pakistan. All women aged between 18 and 50 years who had a history of repeated cystitis, if they received medical treatment in the hospital's outpatient department during research periods and are outpatients now for one research visit, were included on this study. The drug cooperation mode of general practice co-operation network was used, while the principle of vaccination prevention was implemented to everyone for education against sexually transmitted diseases. In the clinic, clinical and laboratory diagnostics were utilized to make a comprehensive diagnosis and all cases were gave a standard questionnaire designed by research personnel. Phase 1 and Phase 2 of treatment: After a comprehensive medical history appraisal and physical examination, each patient received specific combination antibiotic therapy according to her diagnosis. The main purpose of our study was to obtain complete symptomatic remission of cystitis, as gauged by the absence of any clinical or laboratory evidence of infection. Additionally, a secondary object was to alleviate cystitis symptoms, or allay them to some extent.

 

Results: In this study, 20 females who had RC were included. After receiving a combination of antibiotics, 18 of them (90%) had their cystitis symptoms completely eliminated, and the other 2 (10%) only had milder symptoms.

 Conclusion: This study has demonstrated that combined antibiotic therapy is safe and effective as a treatment for female recurrent cystitis. In recurrent cystitis, most women obtain relief from their symptoms using mixed antibiotics.

 Keywords:Recurrent Cystitis, Combination Antibiotic Therapy, Women

Downloads

Published

2023-10-18

How to Cite

Wahab , F., Arif, S., Asif, M., & Khan, Z. U. (2023). Evaluating the Effectiveness of Combination Antibiotic Therapy for Recurrent Cystitis in Women: Original Article . Pakistan Journal of Urology (PJU), 1(01), 12–16. Retrieved from https://www.pju.com.pk/index.php/pju/article/view/16